Mckinley Park is a significant part of the Mckinley Neighborhood. It was originally called East Park when the land was donated back in April 11, 1901. Soon after it was dedicated, President Mckinley and his wife were planning to visit the neighborhood but his wife, Ida, suffered a seizure while they were in San Francisco and were unable to visit Washington. Then on September 14, 1901, President Mckinley was assassinated and was never able to visit the Park. Thus, the landscape crew working on the park decided to change the name from East Park to Mckinley Park as a memorial to the country’s 25th president (info taken from: https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/history-mckinley-park/). Attached are some historical photos of the park! More information can be found in the link above.
Don’t forget to check out our facebook page for more updates on our research! Mckinley Historic District Tacoma